Are you planning a fishing trip for yourself and your buddies or looking to take the whole family on a fishing vacation? Rent one of the fishing lodges in Minnesota and get your trip off to a great start. Here are 6 tips to make your fishing trip a success.
- Find the right location. You may enjoy going out on the lake and fishing for hours, but your young children may become bored in minutes. If you’re taking the family, look for a place with a swimming area, a playground, and paddleboats.
- Choose the right lodging. There are fishing lodges and resorts in Minnesota that can make the trip easier. Find a resort by the lake with boat launching and docking. Resorts have sand beaches with swimming areas for those in your party who don’t like to fish all day. Your family can enjoy kayaking, canoeing, or boat paddling. Pick a resort close to a trail for biking, hiking, or horseback riding. Enjoy comfortable lodging after a long day on the lake.
- Take proper clothing. The weather changes. What starts as a pleasant morning may turn into a hot day or a rainy evening. Check the weather but prepare for the unexpected. You can dress in layers. Take a jacket or umbrella in case it rains, a hat to provide shade, sunglasses to protect your eyes, and sunscreen to protect your skin. Pack your boots if you plan on doing some fishing on the shore.
- Make sure you have all the equipment you may need. Check to see if the lodge where you stay provides the gear you need. If not, bring your rod and reel, a net, bait, hooks, lures, and something to hold and store your catches.
- Bring your camera. You can use your cell phone, but a camera might capture the moment better. You want a great shot of that large bass you catch or that eagle you spot on the shoreline.
- Stay safe. Don’t forget your fishing license or your life vest. Take a first-aid kit and make sure your radio is working. Follow boating rules, don’t drink to excess, take plenty of water and food, and let someone know when you expect to return.